Milanese architect and designer (1891-1979).
He graduated from the Polytechnic of Milan, began his activity (1921) in the study of Mino Fiocchi and Emilio Lancia. From 1923 to 1930 he was artistic director of Richard-Ginori; he designed a complete collection awarded at the Paris expo in 1925. In 1927 he joined a production of elite furniture with Domus New, cheap collection for the rebirth.
In 1928 he founded Domus Magazine, which he directed, except for a brief interruption, until his death. Since 1933 he has been artistic director of Fontana Arte, for which he creates tables and lamps. He is the standard bearer of Italian design participating as protagonist and supporting the Biennials of Monza, then three years of Milan, the Compasso D’oro Award, and the ADI (association for industrial design).
He collaborates with various artists, including Piero Fornasetti; he created the famous “supeleggera for Cassina” in 1957. The design of bridges is carried out in all fields; since it is impossible to give an exhaustive account, we mention in architecture the Pirelli skyscraper in Milan (1956), for the collaboration with the major companies, the teaching at the faculty of architecture of Milan.
Among the writings: “The Italian house” (1933) and “Loved the Architecture” (1957).